Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Easter Everyone.


I guess it was a coincidence but here on Easter Sunday, together with several articles in the Sunday Paper about Jesus' Crucifixion
there was also an article on a new Supercomputer that is in the process of coming on line.
The article, in addition to telling all about how many miles of wire it took to make this computer a reality, etc etc, also stated that the hope that it would be capable of over quintillion equations PER SECOND.
Folks, for one thing I cannot even imagine what the need for this fast a computer is. or what we need to know in a scintillion of a second, but the one thing I do know is that we, just maybe, just perhaps..We as a species are getting dangerously close to the edge of knowledge that we puny humans need to have access to.

Science has never been able to place a size to the universe. Science likes to believe that they DO know everything there is to know about the universe, but they don't, because up to now they have not had the tools to determine this figure.

Its just a guess, but I would imagine that the first use that the new super computer could be put to would be to figure out how large a NEW SUPERCOMPUTER,. it would take to determine the size of the Universe.

So perhaps a comparison would be: A man is given a shovel to dig down to find a larger shovel to dig down to find a larger yet shovel to dig down to find a larger yet yet shovel to dig down(ever faster and with ever heavier shovels full of dirt) to find an ever larger yet yet yet shovel to dig do....

Get the Idea?

Perhaps, just perhaps, it is part of the Grand Design (if there is one) that we, as a species, don't need to know a whole lot more than just this:   HOW BIG IS THE UNIVERSE? I DON'T KNOW! HOW LONG WOULD IT TAKE FOR A COMPUTER THE SIZE OF THE EARTH TO DETERMINE THIS SIZE OF DIMENSION. I DON'T KNOW!

To be absolutely truthful folks, I don't even know what else I need to know, other than to remember the things I have forgotten, those things I once knew, or thought I did, but no longer know.

Perhaps our brains are sort of a dry erase board of a finite size on which is written things as we learn them, but as the board fills, it is necessary that the top (oldest) line be erased to make room, for us to continue to chase our tails.
I do not know, Do You ?


Happy Easter
TOP

No comments: